Wednesday 17 September 2014

Smile

I'd been in the Cafe Nero opposite the World Duty Free, Gate 35, Terminal 2, Heathrow, with my head on the table sobbing for about ten minutes when I looked up to see a woman, the only other person in the cafe, smiling at me.
I got a large lump of tissue from my pocket and wiped my sodden mess of a face and then looked back at the woman and gave her an inept half-smile.
Then the woman lifted her hand and gave me a small wave and mouthed the word- Alright?
I nodded and lifted my hand and mouthed back-Yes.
Then I mouthed her a thank you and put my head back on the table and began to cry again.
A few minutes later I heard her pass the table where I sat sobbing.
I waited until the sound of her clip-clopping heels faded completely before I sat up and began to drink my decaf soya latte.





Go to

No comments:

Post a Comment