Thursday 10 April 2014

Today, while I was walking around the neighbourhood, I came across a pig.

Today, while I was walking around the neighbourhood, I came across a pig.
The pig was in a concrete enclosure in the front of a house a block down from ours.
I'd once had a pig, a Vietnamese Pot Belly, so I stopped to make my acquaintance with the pig.

'Hello,' I said to the pig, who looked as if it had just finished eating, though there were some kind of dried up pancake looking things with burned edges left sitting on the cement.
I was talking to the pig when a small girl came out of the house and, seeing me talking to the pig, called back inside the house.
Next, an elderly woman came out and I started to talk excitedly about the pig.
While I was going on and on about the pig, asking what kind of pig it was, because it had colours on it that I had never seen on a pot belly, the woman and the girl stared at me, smiling.
Finally, when I drew breath the woman said to me, in Spanish-
'I don't speak English,'
Then I smiled to the little girl, and said-'Do you speak English?'
The little girl looked up at the old woman and the woman shook her head.
'Oh, okay, sorry.' I said, determined to come home and learn how to say 'Nice pig' in Spanish.

*********
This drawing is called Hold That Goal (8.5 by 11 inches, gel roller balls and felt pens on paper)
Quite often I cannot hold my goals and they slip off somewhere, lost.
This is a reminder to try to hang on to them.
It features an elephant as apparently they have good memories.
It also suggests to slow your pace, baby.
Might come across the goal again somewhere if you're going slow enough that everything isn't a blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment